Rick Powell

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

Jay - atldigi wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Rick Powell) wrote:

Jay, I'm not suggesting changing the zero reference.

I know; I was going off on a bit of a tangent there while making what
was really just a small point.

but as a mastering engineer, you would rather
take in a 2-track digital mix that peaked at -2db than one that peaks
at 0 dbfs and has a few "flat tops". Using a 24 bit format to record
or mix down to allows less artifacts towards the noise floor, given 2
"identical" sources (one recorded at 16 bit and one at 24 bit) peaking
at, say, -2db. And reduces the need (perceived or real) to "slam" the
recording all the way to 0 dbfs to take "full advantage" of the bit
depth.

If this is "footroom' instead of "headroom", isn't it still a margin
nonetheless?

Sure, I'd prefer a 24 bit file that's not squashed against the ceiling
for sure. It can't hurt. In a practical sense, there's nothing really
wrong with your post, but from a technical standpoint there were a few
details to clarify. I don't mean to be overly critical, but to balance
some circulating misconceptions I think it's worth getting specific now
and then.

Thanks, Jay. I appreciate your presence here in RAP, and your
knowledge of digital theory.

RP