mariarayan mariarayan is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakdedert View Post
I know, I know...but for $9 in good shape at the thrift store, I figured
I couldn't go wrong. No way to test, but the surrounds were in
excellent condition; so I figured at least the woofers alone were worth
$4.50 each.

Brought them home, hooked 'em up, they made noise...so far so good, but
where were the highs? AWOL...crap, blown tweets! Not so fast....

Tested the tweeters with 9v battery--fine. Okay, time to open the box.
Pulled the surprisingly flimsy woofer from the 1/2" MDF box In
addition to the minimal x-over components (resister and cap in series
with the tweeter) was a #561 automotive 'festoon' style lamp in series
with the tweet. Shorting that brought back highs.

Now considering this was a series limiter, should I replace it, or just
bypass? The lamp
http://www.bulbtown.com/561_MINIATURE_BULB_RIGID_LOOP_BASE_p/561.htm
is a roughly 12 watt unit with apprx. 1000 hours rated life. Did it
'fuse', or just wear out?

Strange stuff, this Bose....

jak
yeah i think Light bulbs are surprisingly good current regulators.