Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default how to force a stereo output to mono without a mixer

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:02:23 -0700, Richard Crowley wrote:
"Asorka" wrote ...
Simple question.
Typical line-out/phones output on digital devices (mp3 players/
computers) is stereo, istruments amplifier (eg: guitars, basses) is
mono.

If I make the link one chanell is lost. How should I do avoiding the
use of a proper mixer?
I'd like the right/left chanells to fuse together to one/mono chanell:
is that possible

I guess:
- if it's a computer I should obtain by the software interface... but
I'm using a Mac and VLC and don't know how (it will probably let me
choose just one channel)
- if it's not a computer (something with a basic UI) I should find a
cable which fisically fuse the two chanells together

Well, I hope to find some help and that you'll forgive my english :P

The simple and inexpensive method is to just use a "Y-cable"
which connects the Left and Right outputs together to form a
monaural signal combined from both. This is effective most of
the time, and with reasonable quality.

That's a terrible solution. If you mix them and the outputs don't
like being shorted together then you'll end up with horrible
distortion.

They make mixer cables that simply use a few resistors to connect the
outputs in a passive mixer without shorting them together.