Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Low Frequency Mains Noise

"Ian Bell" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote
in message
Ian Bell wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:
Standards for audio were a lot lower in the 50s, if
you didn't ever notice when you listened to a lot of
recordings from that time. There are some exceptional
recordings that still sound good, but in general, it
was not a good time for quality sound reproduction.
I would not say they were a lot lower. The flat
bandwidth extended only from 50Hz to 15KHz
i.e. totally crap.

but elsewhere the specs were close to today's.
********.

An RCA
broadcast console achieved a 68dB S/N ratio with a
-60dBm input signal which implies an equivalent input
noise of -128dBm

Cite ? A weighted by any chance ?

Here you go, Graham. As usual the tubies can't deliver
what a few searches with google turned up almost
immediately: http://sujan.hallikainen.org/Broadca.../index.php/RCA

Click on the manual for the RCA BC 7A. However, being
stereo, this was not a product of the 50s but rather one
of the late 1960s.

If you check the my other posts you will see I cited the
BC 6 series not the one you chose and it was mono not
stereo.

OK, so that leaves you short on proof. I seriously doubt that the BC6
outperformed the BC7, so point and match still belong to me.

The actual spec on page 4 of the PDF is 68 dB below +18
dbm. IOW, only 50 dB below 0 dB. As bad as that is, I
would suspect 50-15 KHz (- 3 dB) weighting. The
corresponding spec for a modern console would be about
twice that, IOW over 100 dB. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

********.

Fact and presents as cited. It's clear that you didn't look at the factual
evidence I cited.

Work out the actual output noise of a 'modern'
console with 68dB and show me how you get it to be -100dBm

I measure it. The SNR of a typical cheap modern SS console is about 90 dB
below either 0 or +4. They can generally do +12 up to +18 or more before
clipping. That puts their SNR below clipping 100 dB, and that is being
conservative by 10 dB or more.

Moving on to component chassic specs, such as those on
page 15 (Figure 11) we see the sad truth - noise level
was -47 dBm, with THD speced at 1% over a restricted
frequency range. A modern component would have noise
about -90 dBm, with THD no worse than 0.02%.

As usual, we're getting a humongous load of BS dropped
on us. :-(

As usual you pick an example that suits your argument.

Ian, you're still a day late and many dollars short of even a hand to play
in this game. Y

Ian, you can post a link to a PDF that compares to the document I provided
at your earliest convenience, or just apologize, bow out, and quit your
ludicrous whining, like a man.

Ohhh, I did say "like a man". I can safely predict that it won't happen.