Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Low Frequency Mains Noise

Iain Churches wrote:

"Ian Bell" wrote
Eeyore wrote:
Ian Bell wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Ian Bell wrote:

Since there are untold preamp designs with unregulated
supplies
Bad preamps you mean ?
You tell me. I have the schematics for many broadcast consoles and
professional music mixers from the 50s that use unregulated supplies.

'Professional' has moved on a bit in 50+ years.

Has it really?

I doubt they'd match
decent cheap domestic kit now. This is one thing that freaks me out about
you tubeophiles,

Nothing to do with tubeophiles. Neumann tube mics are still much revered
by pros (as are many other tube mics), as are tube mic pres (just look at
the popularity of the EMI REDD 47)

you want to recreate the sound of half a century ago.

Quite possibly. Is there something fundamentally wrong with that?

Nothing at all. As a classical recording engineer with a special
interest in baroque music, I want to recreate the sound of 300
years ago!

They didn't even have wax cylinders back then.

Recreating the sound is trivial. As is recording it in true high fidelity too
now these days.

Graham