Harry Lavo

Default weakest Link in the Chain

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:15:29 GMT, Lawrence Leung
wrote:

As a matter of fact, when we compared between copper and silver/copper,

we
not only compared the high frequency, we compared the bass as well. Sure,
the copper interconnect gave much more bass than the hybrid, while the
hybrid gave more detail on mid and high range.

And yet, if you don't *know* which one is connected, you'll find that
they both sound the same................

Theortically, it is supposed to be that way,

Absolute nonsense! No such theory exists.

But that doesn't keep you from using silver-coated copper cables in your own
system, does it Stewart?

From Stewart's system web site:
http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/stewart_p/stewart_p.htm

"Interconnects are home-brewed unshielded twisted pair made from 0.6mm
solid-core Teflon-coated silver-clad OFHC copper (just standard MIL-spec
hookup wire), while connectors are either Neutrik XLR or Deltron
Teflon/alloy RCA jacks. The treble ribbons on the speakers are wired with
the same twisted-pair, the resistance of this skinny wire is used to bypass
an internal switch and resistor which are normally used to set the treble
level. The bass panels are wired with Naim NACA5, no reason other than the
dealer offered it free with my previous Magnepan MG1C speakers."

So here's the primary disparager of anything other than Home Depot wire on
RAHE building his own interconnects of silver-clad copper, and using
expensive NAIM cables for the bass panels of his speakers.

Tell me Stewart, why don't you sell those expensive cables and
interconnects, and simply replace them with Home Depot 12 gauge, and Rat
Shack interconnects. You'd have money in your pocket, perhaps enough to buy
a "universal" hi-rez player. In that case, you would then be "living" your
oft-professed standards, and you'd have a better base on which to disparage
high-rez. Until then, it is indeed difficult to take some of your
protestations seriously.