Steven Sullivan

Default weakest Link in the Chain

Lawrence Leung wrote:
(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in
:

Keeping all the components at the same quality level nowadays means
spending *at least* 50 % of the budget on speakers - and nothing at
all on cables!

Again, I'm a cable guy, I believe in cables make difference.

Yesterday, I listened between two pairs of nice pure copper and
silver/copper hybrid interconnect cables. Man! The difference is so
significant, my six years old daugther can pass the blind test.

Care to try? We hear lots of such comments, but not one single person
has actually been able to do it under blind conditions.

Care to tell me the procedure of your blind test? As far as I know, that
included a lot of dizzy, head spinning steps so that by the time you can
actually listen to the music, you would not be able to tell the difference,
and this is the purpose of the test, a very very bias test.

Perhpas you shoudl describe the test *you* are thinking of here, because
it certainly doesn't resemble an ABX.

Tell me, when you listen to music, any music, what is your procedure? Mine
is, turn on everything, put the CD inside the CD-Player and sit back. Music
from speakers, and enjoy.

Yes, that works well for listening to music. As described, it's
not at all adequate for verifying audible difference between cables,
though.

So, if we want to test the cable, shouldn't we use the same steps?

Only if you include provisions for perceptual bias.

I blind-folded you, same song/music, same equipments, same volume level,
play for a few minutes. Change cable, play same segment of song/music, see
if you can tell the difference.

The blind test that I heard was not a listening test, it was a memory test!

So is *any* comparison of the 'sound' of two cables, done sighted or otherwise.

Hey, as I said, my six years old daugther can tell the difference the first
time, if you can't, nothing anyone can do.

Actually, young children have better high-requency hearing than adults, so
you shoudl have written , 'even *I* could hear it*.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director