Stewart Pinkerton

Default weakest Link in the Chain

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:50:44 GMT, (Mkuller) wrote:

Here is the order I would propose:

1. Speakers
2. Room acoustics
3. Source Components
4. Preamp
5. Amplifier (as long as it has sufficient power to drive the speakers)
6. Cables, cords and tweaks.

If you have one excellent recording, this is the order of diminishing
differences from upgrading to a better component. A great speaker will always
sound pretty good.

Source material varies from adequate to great, so it really shouldn't be
considered here, IMHO. Otherwise, I'd list it last.

Well, at least there's *something* we can agree on! OTOH, I wouldn't
even have graced cables with a mention.................