Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

Default Need advice for a small room

In article ,
Andrew Haley wrote:

I have a suggestion to make: Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and
Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms by Floyd Toole. Beware of
anyone who tells you of easy solutions to this problem, but being
well-informed won't hurt.

Andrew.

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduc...cs-Loudspeaker
s/dp/0240520092/

No doubt, but I lack the luxury of using some of the ideas spelled out
here. My current listening room was purpose built and has worked well.
Now I am in a situation where I will have to make do with what I can
find and I will be limited with what I can do with the space.

The room dimensions are unknown at this point, but they will be fairly
small. I will be forced to have only two (or four with separate woofers)
fairly small speakers near the front of the room and limited room
treatment beyond furniture and rugs. Yet I want to be able to hear a
decent soundstage from just about anywhere in the room. Given those
constraints, actual experience in solving this problem is likely to
prove more helpful.

Regardless of room constructions and shape, there are speakers that work
well if you are in a single position but not so well if you are not, and
speakers that possibly aren't the best for a fixed location but provide
good sound throughout the space. I'm not going to find that out from a
book. I could learn something by going around and listening, which is
what I did twenty years ago, but that has become almost impossibly
difficult today.

From experience, I am skeptical of most mini-monitors, yet I remember

the Spica speaker from years ago throwing a broad stable sound stage.
On the other extreme, large panel speakers like I have now can do the
job but they won't fit in a very small room. I am reasonably confident
others have the same goals I do and have solved, or at least made
inroads into, this problem.