Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Andre Majorel Andre Majorel is offline

Default Convention for naming for audio adaptors and leads

On 2009-03-23, Richard Crowley wrote:
"Don Pearce" wrote...
Richard Crowley"wrote:
* the original "RCA phono" connector is also known as "Cinch",
particularly outside the US.

Cinch is a connector company that makes hundreds of types.

Most certainly. And it is not the only example of a particular kind
of connector coloquially named after the manufacturer. There are
many others. But "RCA/Cinch" appears to be the most widely-
reconizable name for that kind of connector.

I've never
come across the RCA phono referred to as a Cinch.

And neither had I until I started reading (international) news-
groups such as this one.

The shorthand
nomenclature, certainly here in the UK, is always Phono.

As it is here in the US.

Don't have any usage statistics handy but I know that when I
read "phono" I have to stop and think what it might be. Creative
spelling for "phone jack" ? The actual device ? Something else ?
Oh, you meant an "RCA" or "Cinch" ? Why not write that, then ?

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
"This would only solve part of the problem therefore the status