Nousaine

Default Does anyone know of this challenge?

Bromo wrote:

On 4/24/04 1:15 PM, in article vgxic.14417$cF6.592659@attbi_s04, "Stewart
Pinkerton" wrote:

Irrelevant, since both amps are required to operate *below* clipping,
hence it doesn't matter which is more powerful.

Quite relevant, actually. My amplifier drives a difficult load - and by
removing that it gives no information to someone in my shoes - and will
likely steer them wrongly in choosing an amplifier that is not capable of
diving the speakers that they have picked.

Just tell them to buy a big Rotel or Bryston, and avoid all worries!

I bought a S200 NAD amp - basically the same deal.

This sounds like a bogus 'challenge' to me.

Then you don't understand how the 'high end' works.

Suppose not if this is the sort of challenge that is put forth - remove any
possible way of differentiating one amp from another then claim victory when
you can't tell the difference!

This tells me you really don't understand the high-end. All the factors that
Clark includes in his prereqs are well known and well understood issues that
when viewed as problems have been solved long ago.

The subjectivist crowd and the high-end, on the other hand, claim that there
are "other" factors which cannot be measured with traditional tools that
contribute to the sound of amplifiers. Clark's prereqs could not possibly rule
out those factors as they are all standard things.

The real lesson is to get an amplifier that has adequate power for the job. No
mystery there. But if one searches for a good sounding amp for his speakers
based on those elusive factors that can't be measured then he'll by chasing his
tail.