Stewart Pinkerton

Default Does anyone know of this challenge?

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:52:31 GMT,
(Jeremy) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message news:WuThc.3943$YP5.358919@attbi_s02...
Richard has a standing $10,000 challenge to anyone about amp sound. He'll put
up $10k of his own money to anyone who can validate he can "hear" his own
amplifier compared to one that Richard has. The connditions are blind/switched
and Richard gets to equalize his amplifier (this avoids the ringers that have
been intentionally changed.)

The Yamaha integrated amplifier was part of the Sunshine Trials (which I did
proctor) between Steve Zipser anf Steve Maki.

Ooohhh... thet takes me back to my days reading rec.audio.opinion

Seems like a no-brainer for Richard to do the same with his amp (see
the 'ringer' rules above), and then you're back to square one. There
will always be clowns who'll try to cheat on such a test, but so far
not one single person has been able to *prove* that e.g. a Halcro
sounds better than a Rotel.

I presume the test is to prove one sounds different from the other in
repeated blind trials. 'Better' would be hard to quantify.

Correct, but of course you cannot make a pronouncement on 'better', if
you can't tell a difference.

Hmmm... what are rules on speakers? Something like an Apogee Scintilla
could tax the Yamaha amp into distortion. (depends on the Yamaha amp
in question of course)

Irrelevant, as the amps are used *below* the clipping point - so you
*can* compare a 5-watt SET to a 1,000 watt pro-audio amp - up to 4
watts.

I would also have thought some valve amps (low power SETs?) might
sound recognizably different to the Yamaha on repeated trials
particularly with low-impedance speakers.

That's possible, but I don't know if it's been tried. Besides, do you
know any SETs that are flat from 20Hz to 20kHz? :-)

Or use early Naim amps with something like Transparent cable with its
network circuit and send the Naim into oscillation.

Dead amps don't count! :-)

Or how about Redgum amps which are designed with a sharply rising bass
response?

Amps are required to be level-matched to +/- 0.1 dB across the audio
band. That sort of basic cheating has nothing to do with the claims
made by 'high end' amp manufacturers.