Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] glennerd1@cox.net is offline

Default Mixing and tracking at 96k verses 44k??

On Oct 25, 8:19*pm, wrote:
On Oct 25, 9:55*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Karl Engel wrote:
Do the brick wall filters that supposedly prevent aliasing distortion on the
way in at 44.1 not also work on the way out?

Yes, although in the modern era we use oversampling to avoid having to
actually implement brickwall filters in the analogue world.

(Obviously revealing my weaknesses in understanding here, but doesn't the
DAC have a way of removing the numbers that represent very high frequency
content which might be misrepresented as lower frequency distortion during a
44.1 conversion?)

A hardware sample rate converter, though, will filter high frequencies in
the process of reducing the sample rate. *The data sheet for the AD1890
goes through all the math.

Presumably an equalizing filter will also have internal stuff to deal with
this, to prevent it from creating aliasing. *I know the Oxford filters do.
"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Let me ask another question. *If I were to record , let's say my blues
band. If I recorded a song at 96k and mixed it to a 96k master. (not a
cd) Then if I tracked and mixed that same song ( another take) using
44k tracking and mixed down to a 44k master. Do you think I could hear
a difference?
* * * * * * * * *Glenn.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry again about the double posting. I was unable to get any updates
on my computer after about 11:30 Saturday night. I don't know if this
site was down? I guess it was my system.At any rate( drum crash. ha
ha) thanks for the info. I will record this week at 44k and 96k. Last
time I looked into it. I could hear more highs in a Dat recorded at
48k than one at 44k. They told me when I bought the Pro tools HD
system to buy the 192 interface even if I recorded only at 44k or
48k. Why? They said it had better converters than the Digidesign 96k
interface. Yea that's right even the unde rpaid over worked guys at
Guitar Center can get it right,once in a while.
Glenn.