Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Asbestos in Vintage Speakers (AR 2AX)

On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 4:43:00 AM UTC-7, Peter Wieck wrote:
Note the interpolations - and that this goes back to 2007.
=20
=20
On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 3:50:39 PM UTC-4, George Hardy wrote:
Late reply, but I thought I would add some facts for reference.=20

=20
If one chooses to believe that AR (or any other speakers) contain asbesto=

s, then behave as if it were. Under those conditions, opening one "outside =
or in a garage" is the height of criminal stupidity as any friable material=
s will be broadcast into the environment for anyone at random to inspire.=
=20
=20
I had a neighbor who died of Asbestosis at 97, from a single exposure whe=

n she was 22. She was a roller-skate telephone operator, and one day they w=
ere spraying the backs of the boards with asbestos. A single fiber can kill=
, whether immediately or over time. Smoking greatly exacerbates the issue, =
and repeated exposure can also shorten the process. As in the case of my fa=
ther-in-law who was a maritime engineer and exposed on many occasions from =
his 20s into his late 40s - and who died at nearly 80 of heart-related issu=
es. No apparent reaction to the asbestos.=20

Sorry but this one fiber comment is nonsense.=20

http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/asbestos/...th-effects.htm

"The idea that 'one fibre will kill' is not supported by scientific evidenc=
e as everyone has had some exposure to asbestos fibres. The burden of asbes=
tos fibres in the lungs, resulting from typical background exposure, appear=
s to be tolerated by most people. Post-mortem studies of people aged betwee=
n 60 -79 years who had not died from asbestos-related diseases have shown u=
p to one million asbestos fibres per gram of dry lung tissue."

We all have far more than one fiber of asbestos sitting in our lungs right =
now.=20
=20

[ This is starting to veer off-topic. We can agree that many
materials in electronics and speakers can be hazardous and
warrant appropriate caution. Discussion of such is on-topic,
but should be related back to audio. --dsr ]