Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Asbestos in Vintage Speakers (AR 2AX)

Note the interpolations - and that this goes back to 2007.

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 3:50:39 PM UTC-4, George Hardy wrote:
Late reply, but I thought I would add some facts for reference.=20
=20
Asbestos fiber was used in a wide range of materials, such as insulation,=

flooring, siding, mastics, caulking, fiberboard, cloth, plastics, gaskets,=
washers, etc. Even though some asbestos containing materials and some type=
s of asbestos fiber are more hazardous than others, all of them are potenti=
ally hazardous.=20

The above are historically accurate statements, so far, so good.=20
=20
I own a pair of early AR3s, and I would be very surprised if they did not=

contain some form of asbestos. The black caulking used to seal the woofers=
is almost certainly Dum-Dum brand, which was widely used and contained asb=
estos. But the fibers used as a binder in caulking and similar products pos=
e little if any risk. The problem is with loose, dry asbestos, or friable a=
sbestos.=20

One statement, probably true, one assertion that is actually untrue. "Surpr=
ised" and "Almost Certainly" do not equate to facts. Wishful (or fearful) t=
hinking, perhaps. False premises to make further bad arguments, more likely=
..=20
=20
With respect to the AR3's the only real concern would be the loose fibero=

us packing behind the cabinet. Asbestos packing was commonly used to insula=
te circuit boxes, and because of its fire-resistant properties and relative=
ly low cost at the time, I would say that there is a pretty good chance tha=
t AR and/or other manufacturers would have used an asbestos blend as an ins=
ulator/dampener.=20

That something was commonly used, and what you might say also does not equa=
te to a fact. AR used, over time, various natural materials, and man-made m=
aterials for their batting, chosen very carefully for specific characterist=
ics including resilience and place-holding. It would have been remarkable f=
or them to use a "common" material - especially given that they used real w=
ool.=20
=20
Having said that, the only real risk of exposure would come from opening =

up the speakers. If you are concerned about exposure, I would recommend tha=
t you open the cabinets outside or in a garage, and wear appropriate respir=
atory protection.=20

If one chooses to believe that AR (or any other speakers) contain asbestos,=
then behave as if it were. Under those conditions, opening one "outside or=
in a garage" is the height of criminal stupidity as any friable materials =
will be broadcast into the environment for anyone at random to inspire.=20

Most studies indicate that asbestosis and mesothelioma are caused by prol=

onged and repeated exposure to asbestos. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to =
take some precaution when working with any type of fiberous material, wheth=
er it is fiberglass, mineral wool, polypropylene batting, or asbestos. Inha=
ling fibers can cause scarring of the lungs, which, over time, can contribu=
te to respiratory problems.=20

Yep. Including flour, cotton fibers (AKA "Brown Lung") and much more.=20

I had a neighbor who died of Asbestosis at 97, from a single exposure when =
she was 22. She was a roller-skate telephone operator, and one day they wer=
e spraying the backs of the boards with asbestos. A single fiber can kill, =
whether immediately or over time. Smoking greatly exacerbates the issue, an=
d repeated exposure can also shorten the process. As in the case of my fath=
er-in-law who was a maritime engineer and exposed on many occasions from hi=
s 20s into his late 40s - and who died at nearly 80 of heart-related issues=
.. No apparent reaction to the asbestos.=20

tl;dr- Closed speakers are safe, but take some precautions when working i=

nside the cabinet.

Yeah... the stuff itches like crazy if one does not wear gloves.=20

p.s.: AR did not use ACMs and they did not use Fiberglas (or fiberglass). =
Those who choose to believe otherwise, please eschew AR speakers - it leave=
s more for the rest of us.=20

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA