Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default RCA cable question

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message
"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
Several laptop power supplies (notably several Dell
models) use full 3-wire grounded power cords and
apparently extend the green-wire safety ground through
to the computer power.

Maybe so, but it isn't all that common a practice IME.

I just checked 2 Dell and 1 HP laptop power supplies - all computers less
than 3 years old.

All 3 had essentially dead shorts from the ground pin on the power cord to
the shell of the coaxial power plug that goes into the PC.

This seems to be how laptops have been built for the last few years. I have
some laptops with 2-wire power cords, but they are older.