Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tomi Holger Engdahl[_3_] Tomi Holger Engdahl[_3_] is offline

Default RCA cable question

Bikedrd writes:

I wonder if there is some trick I can use, and I if someone out there
can help me.

I recently bought a house that someone had wired a remote speakers
into (for their surround sound).

I don't plan to use the surround sound; however, I do have my
traditional stereo amplifier at one end of one remote speaker wire and
my TV at the other end.

What I am wondering is: is there a way to use the single speaker wire
pair to transmit line-level RCA audio output from my satellite
receiver to an input on my amp?

Single speaker wire pair is not a good match for stereo audio
signals. Basically you would need at least three wires to
properly transmit the stereo signal (left, right , ground).
And the cable should be shielded type to keep noise out.
Unshielded cable can work in some short runs without picking
too much interference if you are lucky... usually you get noise
you can hear.

Is it possible to run both hots using the speaker wire and use the
home electrical system for ground? If so, would it sound like crap
because the wires would not be shielded?

Running two hots using speaker wire and using home electrical system
for ground is not a solution that would work acceptably, most
propable yoy get so much noise to sound that the wiring like this
woudl give you more noise than sound... and you risk damaging
equipment (there can be consierable voltage difference between
two points in electrical systel grounds inside building.

The voltage difference between two outlets would give you
most propably horrible amount of humming noise, plus you
would hear light switches turning on/off and equipment making noises
to electrical wiring..
Also she unshielded cables wired far away from the ground
connection would also pick up lots of noise from any
electrical noise source nearby. This kind of wiring would
be very sensitive to pick noise with both magnetic inductive
and electrical fields capacitively coupling to wiring.

Any ideas out there?
Thanks

Pull new suitable wiring inside wall using the old speaker wire
to pull in the new cable... Or just pull new cable and leave the
old one unused. Or consider some wireless audio transmission solutions.

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/