Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Asbestos in Vintage Speakers (AR 2AX)

zibbit wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
zibbit wrote:

I have been told and have been reading about asbestos used in AR speakers
(maybe others). Does anyone know when AR used fiberglass that may have
contained asbestos and what circa speakers might contain asbestos i.e. is
there any reference that you know of that indicates which AR model
numbers might contain asbestos and the year of manufacture?

Any information you might have on the use of materials containing
asbestos in vintage speakers would be on interest to me.

Asbestos has never been used in speakers AFAIK.

Fibreglass has no relationship to asbestos whatever. Fibreglass does not
contain asbestos. Learn some basic science please.

Graham

Hi Graham,

I actually know quit a bit about science. Don't dissect my words and please
and stick to the spirit of the post.

I addresses your post directly. No disection needed.

The spirit of the post is that there are numerous accounts of service
technicians that have encountered asbestos (padding, dampening material,
fiberfill, fiberglass, you name it) in early vintage AR speakers.

What numerous accounts are these ?

Why are you so sure that it is not true? I've heard and read the
assertions...what are the facts?

It would be a very odd choice of material. Why would they ever do it ? The stuff
turns to 'powder' and would blow out of any ports.

The dangers of asbestos have been known for over 100 years. Again why would
anyone use it ?

I do wonder if rockwool might have been mistakenly thought to be asbestos
though. It's a mineral fibre too.

Graham