Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave O'Heare[_3_] Dave O'Heare[_3_] is offline

Default Small power amplifier

I hate the smell of fried electronics in the evening.

Folks, my old (somewhat) faithful Stewart PA200 died on me last night. I
hooked it up, it worked, passed audio, all was good. During the event audio
started dropping out, then stopped completely, then loud oscillation (on
one channel, nothing on the other). I fought my way through the moshing
crowd at the retirement residence where it was set up for the PA announce
mic, noted that unmistakeable smell of escaped magic smoke, and powered the
whole works off.

This is not the first time this amp has failed, in much the same way. I
think it's time to replace the beast, but with what? I use it on the
occasions when I'm doing very small events, mostly to minimize the amount
and size of the crap that I'm carrying.

Are there any options for ~100W power amps in a small form factor? I'd
really rather not cart around the size and weight of a full-width rack
mount power amp. It doesn't even have to be stereo, really, but I do want
something with reasonably standard connections (TRS/TS, XLR, Speakon,say;
not barrier strip, euroblock) and (hopefully) relatively easily available
in Canada.

Thanks, folks.