Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default 0dBFS+ Levels in Digital Mastering

In article , Trevor wrote:
Rubbish, peak limiting that causes flat tops IS clipping. YOU simply
don't understand what they have done, or the difference between
compression and limiting it seems.

How much of a flat top is needed for it to be clipping? One sample?
Many samples? At what point does limiting end and clipping begin?

On the other hand, let's say I have a drum hit that is only three samples
long and it's the only loud thing on the track. I run it through a
limiter... maybe it's just a pair of back to back diodes, and I chop it
down 20 dB. It sounds fine. Did I clip it, or did I limit it?