Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

Default They don't make it like they used to ...

On Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 12:14:52 PM UTC-4, Bob Olhsson wrote:
"Original music" isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about high school kids in the 1950s and '60sgetting paid the equivalent of $500 in today's money every weekend EACH. As their so-called "cover" band became successful, they would slip some originals into their show. As they developed a "draw," assuming that happened, people would invest in their playing "on the road" to expand their fanbase and in a recording. With regional success came offers from record labels. If they failed, they still could earn $500 each a weekend playing covers and improving their skills.

This supported a vast talent pool because it didn't require being able to afford to play music like it does today. The best of the best is who we hear on records from that era. Today, it's more like the best of the rich who play music full time.

In the 1970's (and certainly in the 50s and 60s) most bands had to go to a recording studio to get anything decent.

We have plenty of week day and "weekend warrior" cover bands around Balt and DC; young and old er). Where are you, Bob?

"This supported a vast talent pool because it didn't require being able to afford to play music like it does today." I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you extrapolate, please?

Regards,

Ty Ford