Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default They don't make it like they used to ...

In article ,
Bob Olhsson wrote:
The proverbial elephant in the room is that really good musicians haven't b=
een assured of a middle-class living since the 1970s.

Another part of the story is that during WW2 the U.S. military provided les=
sons and instruments to thousands of people based on merit alone. We and Gr=
eat Britain also hosted thousands of Europe's finest musicians who were fle=
eing the fascists. They played in our orchestras and taught our children mu=
sic. My wife actually took her high school violin lessons from the former c=
oncertmaster of La Scala.

Unfortunately, music has turned into a hobby. There is as much talent as ev=
er but not nearly as much performance experience.

I'd say it's worse than that, Bob.

There are high grade professional musicians making a good living, and there
are hobbyists. But there is nothing in-between, and when there is nothing
in-between there is no route for hobbyists to become high grade professionals.