Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Recording from Rec Out

Ed Wicks wrote:

I plug my Roland R-07digital recorder into Rec Out of the Behringer amp in
the club where my band plays. Is the recording I get a fair representation of
what the audience is hearing through the mains? If, say, the banjo is too
loud and my vocal too soft on the recording, is that probably the way the
audience perceives it?

Yes. However, what the audience is hearing is a mixture of what is coming
through the mains and the direct sounds off of the instruments. So, especially
in a smaller room, the PA mix is only a small fraction of the actual total
sound that they are hearing.

This is why we call it "sound reinforcement" and not "sound replacement."

I am an audio rookie, and the guy who runs the sound isn€„¢t very
informed about the rig and doesn€„¢t know what audio is coming out of
Rec Out or, if it is controllable, how to control it.

Record it and listen. It's likely not to be a very balanced mix, because
whatever is most quiet in the room will be most loud in the PA.

You can put a microphone on stage to record ambient sound, and then record
that next to the PA feed, and mix the two after the fact to get a reasonable
representation of the sound.