Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Multiple spaces in recordings

On 3/25/2019 1:40 PM, nickbatz wrote:
Well, I'm truly surprised that no one here seems to get what I'm saying. I've talked to a couple of friends (both music/audio pros) about this, and they understood right away - but also didn't have a great answer why (I'm going to say it again) the human brain accepts multiple spaces on a recording.

And it absolutely does! Tests have proven!

It depends on what "accepts" means. Does that mean that they like it,
they find that it enhances whatever feeling the music provokes in them,
or they don't care or don't notice anything odd?

I think the answer to why the human brain accepts multiple spaces for
discrete sounds in a recording is that we're very adaptive and hear
pretty much what we expect to hear. It's why MP3s are as popular as they
are - tests prove that there's something missing, but our brain just
accepts that, unless we're being tasked with zeroing in on a particular
effect.

Our vision works sort of the same way. For the first week or two after I
had cataract surgery on both of my eyes, I was amazed at how much
greener the grass and how much bluer the sky appeared. Three years
later, grass looks like grass, sky looks like sky, even with the
filtering effect of the clouded lens removed.