Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Tweeter replacement for Kef 107

"fid" wrote in message
ps.com...

On Feb 28, 11:36 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

I can't believe that KEF doesn't have a replacement tweeter for sale at
price that is vastly less costly than the used equipment value of the
speaker.

I did contact Kef (UK & USA). Apparently they will soon have available
some replacement tweeters. I had to beg them to give me some info.
Finally the rep at Kef USA told me that it is a soft dome and the part
number is R1549X. That's only I know. No name of maker or where it is
conceived.

I get the impression that the origional T-33 was a Vifa-made unit. Vifa is
now a brand of DAP, whose other brands are SEAS and ScanSpeak

However. I contacted some professionals and they would at least
attempt to install a pair of ScanSpeak (even that he was more
comfortable to suggest a SEAS). No change to be made at the crossover,
thou.

This would be an experiment. What's the down side, costs?

When i told him that I was looking for a tweeter with the impedance of
4ohms he replied like this: "Your system is rated at 4 ohm, not the
tweeter. Systems a rated for the woofer impedance since they draw 80%
of the power from the amp. If you have access to an ohm meter, you can
check the good tweeter your self. An 8 ohm tweeter will usually have a
dc resistance of between 6-7 ohms.

All true statements, but not really responsive to your question. In the US
we speak of "Snow Jobs".

A 4 ohm units would have a dcr of 3-4 ohm."

Also true, but relating how to the price of tea at the supermarket?

Why change tweeters? The left tweeter has less (or darker) output then
the right tweeter. It's a sign...

Presumably you've physically exchanged the speakers in your listening (left
& right swap) and the problem stayed with the speaker.