Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Volume Level of "Tuner" vs that of "CD" "Tape" or "Phono" on myhome stereo, boombox, or car receiver

On Jun 14, 10:38*am, Doug Freyburger wrote:
Dick Pierce wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:

It's the same wherever I go. *In the car, I switch from my mp3 jack or
CD to a FM station and instinctively I have to turn the volume down by
at least 1/3rd.

There is of course the alternative explanation that the
average signal level generated by your MP3 device is less
than a perfect match for the expected input level of
your auxiliary input, and that it's a simple gain mismatch.
If your MP3 device shows a consistent lower level on several
playback systems, that could well be the case.

Exactly. *I remember that happening when I switched from a cassette deck
to a phonograph both connected to the same power amplifier decades ago.
Cassette decks usually had gain knobs and I would have to turn them way
down to even slightly match the level of vinyl record output.

If the MP3 jack is the headphone one it makes sense that this would
happen. *If the MP3 jack is USB it makes no sense other than the
manufacturers didn't bother to agree on typical gain levels.

____________________

Folks folks my point is that on any multi-input device(car deck, home
receiver, or boombox with aux-in): Mp3, Tape, CD, and phono are ALL
closer to each other in relative volume than is the tuner section.
Radio is just waaaaaaaay out there, unless it's a distant AM from PA
or Mass(I live in SW Connecticut). And from the responses to why
this is, it sounds as though the stations themselves are largely to
blame. They probably have at least a half-dozen compressers strung
together along with a limiter and "Maximizer", and that's why radio
stations sound as loud with the volume knob at 3 as the rest of my
inputs sound at 6-7(on a scale of 0 to 10).

IT

IS

ANNOYING!

-CC