Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RickH RickH is offline

Default matching reverb transformer to reverb tank?

It might not be a mis-match, instead what you are feeding into it may
be exactly what you are hearing, that is, a signal with a large hum
content.

If the reverb tranny you are using now has a low output impedance, just
hook up a high efficiency speaker to it as a test to actually Hear what
you are sending to the reverb tank. If that sounds hum-filled and weak
then the problem is not the tank but instead your driver circuit.
Conversely you can test your recovery circuit by playing the line
output from a cd player into the recovery circuit. If that is weak and
hum-filled then the problem is a bad recovery pre-amp.

If both driver and recovery circuits produce good sound, then it Is the
tank or impedance match, and go get the Accutronics tank like LV said.
They are relatively inexpensive.

ralf wrote:
I'm trying to build a stand alone reverb unit like the first Fender
from spare parts. I used the Fender circuit with the standard Fender
reverb transformer but the only tank I have is a Folded Line from an
old organ which says: "made in Milton, Wis. by beautiful girls in
controlled atmosphere conditions". It has low, distorted output with
some hum. Everything looks good going into the tank which seems
mechanically ok. Any ideas?