MiNE 109

Default HDCD DAC (entry-level)

In article ,
(Sathyan Sundaram) wrote:

Can you recommend an entry-level ($400 or less, used is fine)
HDCD-capable external stereo DAC? It will be used with a Pioneer
DV-563 as transport. Either Optical or Coaxial is fine. The overall
system is mass market HT (Onkyo electronics, KLH speakers, Radio Shack
interconnects) so audiophile-grade is not necessary. At present I
can't listen to HDCD's as HDCD's. Redbooks sound a bit veiled and
lacking final definition in imaging. (I didn't notice this until
listening to SACD's) Or am I better off getting a Cambridge Audio
dedicated CD player (500SE)?

A quick Google shows the Aragon D2A2k; the Musical Fidelity X-DAC; and
the Assemblage DAC -2 in approximately your price range.

IMO you'd be better off with a used Arcam or Rotel player with HDCD than
with a DAC for the price.

I'd look at a speaker upgrade someday.

And if you want the benefits of HDCD, don't use the digital connection
from the player to the receiver, assuming there is one!

Stephen