Arny Krueger

Default CDDA Rip Quality

Bob Saccamano wrote:

Can an Audio CD be read back, exactly as it was written?

Yes, bit perfect.

I have seen some discussion that its not possible, due to the way a
commercial CD-A is made.

I general, a bit-perfect copy of a CDA track can be written to a
hard drive. The resulting .wav file can be burned onto a new CD, and
the original track and the copy track can be identical down to the
last bit.

I've done this many times. I often use this test as a means to judge
the quality of CD ROM drives and software for copying audio tracks
to hard drives.

I understand that a bit-perfect copy can be made, but I'm a little
unsure about jitter, and what audible effects it will have on a music
CD. Any thoughts?

Because this is a digital to digital copy, jitter in the conventional sense
we see with CD players and digital recorders is irrelevant. The data is
either accurate, or it isn't. Done right, it's perfectly accurate.