reddred

Default 8X DVD Burner?

"Blind Joni" wrote in message
I saw an 8X burner at Office Max yesterday..company called

MagicSpin..chinese.
Anyone used a fast burner yet? Any info?

None of these are 'true' 8x, they use 4x discs. NEC manufactures all the
firmware for the 'semi-8x' drives, and I think you were most likely looking
at a badged NEC OEM drive. The 4x drives are made by either NEC or Pioneer,
with custom bezels and in some cases customized firmware. The 8x drives seem
to be following the same pattern.

I've seen the Plextor '8x' in action and it looks to be a winner, very
reliable and fast , although that's based only on my limited observation. It
doesn't ship with the real Plextools, but is fully compatable if you already
have the software.

The true 8x drives should be out in spring.

jb