Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default From NASA - tin whiskers - why all your gear will fail

(Richard Webb) writes:

snips

YEp, and many of my formative years were spent among other
children who were basically discarded by their families
because of the "defect" of blindness.

Makes for some mighty fine hearing, Richard!

You can probably hear photons smacking the back wall when the rest of us poor
schlubs only dream of hearing like that. w

Actually, at concerts and in the control room I'll often close my eyes for extended
periods. (In fact, even at concerts where a world-renowned player is on stage, I
specifically do not want to be distracted by visuals -- it's the sound, dammit. I
don't care about the blur of hands and arms. In the context of /listening/ to the
sublime, seeing it doesn't mean all that much; YMMV.)

If one is open to it, sound takes on a new "dimension" when visual processing can be
put in neutral, and you can back off the 24% of total brain energy consumed to
support it.

Frank
Mobile Audio