Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default LP still better than Digital?

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 16:33:42 -0700, Dick Pierce wrote
(in article ):

Audio Empire wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 07:08:42 -0700, ScottW wrote
Out of a hundred or so used records I've found maybe one or two that
are clean and quiet. People who dump their collections at the yard
sales, swap meets, and thrift stores don't appear to generally be
people who ever knew or cared to bother with proper care of
vinyl....and still more played their old vinyl on BSR groove grinders
that no amount of cleaning can overcome.

That is unfortunately true. I've been to estate sales where some elderly
gent
has passed away, and found well cared-for LP collections, but at flea
markets, garage sales, and yard sales, you'd be damn lucky to find anything
worth buying (although I did find a perfect unopened copy of
Rimsky-Korsakov's "Tale of the Tsar Sultan" and "Russian Easter Overture"
on
London once for $1!).

Or the time I went to our local dump and found a large box
containing 18 volumes of the Deutsche Grammophon Beethoven
Bicentennial Collection maybe 60 LPs altogether. Each one
unopened, unplayed, no mildew, each and every one in
absolutely pristine, new condition. Oh, the box was the original
shipping carton, as well. A week later, I went back and
managed to grab maybe 1/4 of the Telefunken Bach Cantata
collection, many of which were still in their shrinkrap.

The whole mess, someone was throwing away.

I'd say you were very, very lucky, Dick. How did you manage to stumble on
them?