Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Software to turn a PC into an Equalizer

Barry wrote:
Scott Dorsey wote:

PRF?

peak resonance freq. I made it up. lol

A good speaker has no peaks. A good speaker is flat across a nice wide
passband, and it drops off at either end.

Maybe it has a few bumps and dips here and there of a couple dB that are
the result of some cabinet problems or some driver issues, but there's
no one one big resonance.

A "thump box" bandpass subwoofer will have one big resonance, and as a
consequence, it basically plays only one or two notes. This is not a
good speaker.

soo, resonances can be a problem on many levels, right.. like the room
itself...
I notice in my bathroom if I sing a tone.. and slide the pitch up and
down..
I can quickly find a pitch that SUPER FILLS THE ROOM...

Right. That's a room resonance. You'll notice that if you have one person
singing that note one place in the bathroom, and you move around the room,
that note is super loud some places in the room and totally silent in others.
THAT is why EQ doesn't fix room problems. EQ them so the response is right
in one place and it will be worse in others.

While you're in the bathroom, fill up the tub. Move your arm back and forth
in the tub... you'll create a wave that will hit the wall, and come back.
You'll find if you move it at ONE rate, the waves coming back will reinforce
the ones going out, and you just get "standing waves" that move up and down
in the tub. This is resonance.

I am an artist first, but with the cost of a good producer, I am
compelled to learn all I can down here at the bottom of the totem
pole.

There's a Scientific American book called "The Physics of Music" that
explains a lot of this stuff, as well as how a lot of musical instruments
work. It's worth asking your library for a copy. It's a fun book.