Andy Eng

RD Jones wrote:
wrote:

It depends on if you're getting paid or not. I'd tell her she needs to
back off the mic when she's about to blast. Find out what here
favorite singer is, and tell her "she *always* backs off the mic in the
studio. that's what the pros do. you're favorite singer is no dummy.
let's do what she does so we can get that pro-record sound."

The issue that develops here is that a singer that
is trying to 'back off' at the louder phrases but
hasn't yet mastered the technique is an even more
unnatural sound due to over-compensating.

The meter-in-the-face idea is good.
Get one with big bright LED clip indicators.

The way I got the point across to a couple of our singers was to go
ahead and let them peg the redlights, play it back to them while
letting them watch the wave form scroll through and let them hear how
bad a digitally clipped (or overcompressed) vocal sounds. A bit
Pavlovic. Also works if they're plosive happy...

Best,
Andy