ShivaNY

Hi - i honestly never worked on a Mac 1500, i could look up the schematics
(or you can send them to me), though, i suspect that gettin' rid of the
transformers would not be a trivial mod, and, strangely enough, good small
signal transformers are extremely linear, so don't assume that the problem
lies there. The reason that the modern gear uses transformer - coupling so
rarely is the cost of good transformers is much higher than the cost of
extra gain stages, and transformers are actually preferred over toobs in
many applications (think mic transformers & and PU cart transformers). Once
again, had no experience with your Mac, so i don't even know how the
transformers are used...
'luck,
-dim (Shiva)
"Licensed to Quill" wrote in message
Saw your mention on NG as being in New York (which I must confess I didn't
quite understand) and was wondering if there was a known mod to get a
working Mac 1500 to output the presumably rather nice tube tuner (which

must
have been designed and made at about the same time as and by the same

people
as the MR71?) straight into the presumably rather nice tube power section?
By-passing that perhaps-slightly-dated early 1960s trannie pre amp stage
which completely louses up the actual sound?

Or for that matter, is there a mod to get straight into the power section
which doesn't cost a fortune?

Has anyone ever done it and is it worth the bother?

Jonathan

"Doomella" wrote in message
Hi - I never leave my shop in the tagline, but I'm in NYC now (small

shop