Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Professional Radio Engineer

"flipper = ****WIT PIG "

, "Phil Allison"

"flipper"

Well, I suppose we just wouldn't mention that to be a transmission
line at audio frequencies the cable would have to be miles long.

** Not this stupid red herring again !!!

I though only ****wit radio hams misunderstood the topic of transmission
lines so badly.

The theory of "electrically short" transmission lines says they act like
pure capacitors if unterminated and like inductors if shorted.

I know about "electrically short" transmission lines but sending audio
over a few meters of cable is not just "electrically short," it's
ridiculously short and renders any notion of 'characteristic
impedance' irrelevant.

** But I just proved that stupid idea wrong - YOU IGNORANT **** HEAD
!!!!

As with
longer transmission lines, when terminated by a resistance equal to the
line's characteristic impedance - there is almost no upper limit to the
frequency range.

( snip putrid, ****wit **** )

Ordinary twin speaker cables are transmission lines, but with a
characteristic impedance of around 100 ohms - so when terminated by an 8
or
4 ohm resistor show high frequency roll off above the audio band due to
series inductance. Specially made cables ( woven conductor or strip lines)
with a characteristic impedance of 8 ohms show no such roll of.

( snip more ****wit **** )

Mostly this roll off hardly matters, but a few cases exist where the
speaker's impedance falls to a low value ( 1 or 2 ohms) at or near the top
of the audio band

Which rules out any notion of supposedly 'impedance matching' ...

** Your ****wit idea pal, not mine - ASSHOLE !!!

and then it can matter quite a bit. The original QUAD ESL
is one example and even the AR11 has a huge dip in the impedance at 5 to 6
kHz

The unfortunate speaker cable finds itself stuck between the
amplifier, a low-output impedance voltage source, and the loudspeaker,
whose impedance and phase are all over the place. As such, the actual
impedance with which the speaker cable works is effectively zero,

** WRONG !!!

It has series inductance, quite a bit if it is more than 5 metres long.

because it is electrically short ....

** Go choke to death of your Xmas turkey

- you vile pile of worthless scum.