Posted to rec.audio.car
Mariachi Mariachi is offline

Default Replace positive wire on HU?

Does anybody think that a 16 gauge power wire is sufficient enough to
deliver 100 Watts (25 watts per speaker)? I was thinking of replacing
the factory 16 gauge power wire with a 14 gauge power wire. The only
problem is, I don't know my cars electrical system well enough in
order to run the 14 gauge where I'm supposed to. Some people say
there is a resistor between the head unit and the positive terminal of
the battery in order to limit the current... but isn't the head unit
supposed to do that by itself? I'm sure the head unit has it's own
switch to limit the current that is going into the HU. I don't want
to run a wire straight to the positive terminal of the battery because
I might ruin something that might be originally in parallel with the
head unit power wire. Right now, I'm trying to locate the 10 or 20 A
fuse that the power wire is connected up to. Any suggestions?