Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Default ESL57s - loss of high frequency?

In article ,
John Smith wrote:
I bought the meter from Maplins about 3 years ago. I don't remember the
make and I'm not at home to check. Maplins had it at £50 or £60 but
claimed the full price was around £100 and when I looked around the net
it was on sale elsewhere for around £100 so I guess it's accurate enough
for my needs.

I set it up 12 inches from the centre of the speaker mounted on a camera
tripod (the meter has a tripod mount). Each speaker was measured
separately so 4 runs of the test. I set the volume control as I would
for normal listening. The test CD (EMI) has a series of tracks playing a
fixed frequency for about 10 seconds (20Hz-20kHz). The volume coding is
the same for each track (15dBA below peak I think). For each frequency I
noted the meter reading (its a digital readout). While the TDL readings
stayed about the same from 8-15kHz the Quads dropped over 12dBA and by
20kHz they were over 15 dBA less than the TDLs. I can't hear much above
10kHz these days but the meter had no problem and I knew what frequency
was playing by the track number on the CD player.

12" from the centre of an ESL 57 is off centre for the tweeters which have
a very narrow angle.

Frequency measurements like this are only a *very* approximate guide
unless made in an anechoic chamber.

--
*I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.