Ross Matheson

"Kevin Aylward" wrote:
in ,

: John Woodgate wrote:
: I read in sci.electronics.design that Kevin Aylward
: kevindotaylwardEXTR wrote (in
: .net) about 'A little
: feedback worse than none at all?', on Wed, 19 Nov 2003:
: Err.. John and me are arguable, friends. My comment was not at him
: personally, but at what he said. What he said was crap.
:
: No, Kevin, it isn't. What happens when you apply lots of feedback
: around an amplifier of poor linearity is that you swap maybe 5% of
: low-order distortion (2nd, 3rd, 5th.) for 0.05% or so of every
: harmonic up to the upper band limit of the amplifier.
:
: What part of "large amounts of feedback" are you having trouble with
: John?
:
: The latter
: sounds FAR worse,
:
: Why don't you read what I actually wrote.
:
: because of the multiplicity of intermodulation
: products, some of which are much larger in amplitude than the
: adjacent harmonics.
:
: I have *already* explained, that yes, if the feedback is *low*, than it
: can sound much worse. However, if one gets into the *total* THD/IMD
: figures of 0.01%, then feedback is great. End of story.
:
: Kevin Aylward

Re "large amounts of feedback" and "great", I wonder what you learned chaps
might think of this, previously bookmarked unable to check tonight site?
http://peufeu.free.fr/audio/memory-1-theory.html [or start from audio/ ]

Up to 100db feedback? I thought it was interesting, and it seemed new &
original ... bookmarked early this year ... in terms of SS device fidelity.

Regards, from a mere amateur & novice;-)

Ross Matheson