SmilingSinner

Default hearing loss info

well documented by who where with what credentials - Still citing yourself I
see?
"Mark Zarella" seesigfile wrote in message
news
Furthermore, it's been well-documented that there are two chief variables
with regard to noise-induced hearing loss: an intensity variable and a
time-domain variable. It's also been well-documented that the

relationship
between these and the energy of the stimulus is highly nonlinear. The
values provided in the web sites he posted from are almost entirely
arbitrary and provide no worthwhile point of reference. They are nothing
more than layperson FAQs! They're written strictly for morons who

actually
don't know that loud sounds can (can, not will) cause damage.

My contention is, and has been, that it's NOT EASY to cause permanent
damage. Does that mean that I said it's impossible? Of course not. But

think it takes a complete moron to think he knows anything about the
mechanisms of hearing loss by merely reading a public service

announcement.
That sort of thing leads people to spew misinformation all over the net,

as
was the case in a recent thread here that I'll repost in hopes that you'll
see exactly where I'm coming from. (note in particular Christina's

initial
response)

****************************

From: John Dziurlaj )
Subject: Hearing Loss in Car Audio........does it happen?

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.audio.car
Date: 2003-05-06 17:58:38 PST

Hi There. I'm having concerns about my hearing and if my system is a
threat to it. I wouldn't say I play my system 'that' loud, maybe
pumping around 600 w (two JL 12s), but my ears have been feeling weird
as of late, and I'm just wondering if anyone in the field has noticed
any signs of hearing loss. I'm also very paranoid about things, so it
could just be that too. Any comments would be of great help! Thanks!
John Dziurlaj

***************************

Message 9 in thread
From: Mark Zarella )

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.audio.car
Date: 2003-05-09 11:17:32 PST

I've ingnored the feeling for almost two weeks I'd say, do you think
my hearing is permently damaged?

I would go get tested. It's highly unlikely that you "lost your hearing"
with a single exposure. What you're experiencing now I'm sure SEEMS real,
but it actually may not be. Or it could be a symptom of a sinus or inner
ear issue. If I were you I'd see a doctor. You won't know otherwise.

***********************************

Message 10 in thread
From: Christina Robertson )

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.audio.car
Date: 2003-05-09 11:25:28 PST

I'd say yes you have damage. What is probalby more important than the
two weeks you've been ignoring it is how long you've been exposed to
VERY loud music in total. The effect is cummulative. Just refraining
for a few weeks and then cranking the volume back up is not a good
idea. If you're in your 20's and have been exposed to loud music a long
time you probalby already have some mild hearing loss. (It doens't have
to be heralded by any feeling at all)

The safest thing to do would be to simply turn your music down.
Permenantly. Not only would your ears thank you years down the road,
but drivers around you wouldn't be wincing every time you went by. (Or
heaven help us get stuck at an intersection with you.) The sorts of
noises young men (though I suppose some young women also listen to VERY
loud music) play in their cars is quite often more than enough to cause
permenant and severe hearing loss over time.

Turn your music on to what seems like a good volume to you. Get out and
shut the doors. If you can still understand the words of the music its
too loud! If you can still feel that thumping base, its too loud! Turn
it down. But that's just me and I've been called an old lady.

Chris