Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro,sci.physics
Keith G Keith G is offline

Default How can I tell music has been an MP3? Quantitative Measurement of Fidelity

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 07:13:28 -0400, Keith G wrote
(in article ):

"Colin B." wrote

I'd suggest that this isn't a recent phenomenon. I've got plenty of
pop
vinyl from the 1970s and 1980s that has roughly no dynamics.

Yep, you bought it so *they* kept on supplying it - same thing's
happening today, apparently. Where's the problem?

Making crap
sound louder on the radio at the complete expense of quality is
decades old.

Compressed audio like 'Classic FM' on a car radio works very well,
actually....

Not so well when they play MP3 versus CD cuts. Locally, the oldies
station
WZBA has enough crunch on their MP3s that I can't really crank a CCR
tune as
loud as I want in the car because the distortion stops me. That's just
a buzz
kill. (could be another problem in their audio chain, but I don't
think so.)

Once again, I didn't spot the crossposting!!

I should have said: In the UK, Classic FM don't sound too bad on the car
radio!! (I see others have said that we don't broadcast from lo-res MP3s
in the UK??)