Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro,sci.physics

Default How can I tell music has been an MP3? Quantitative Measurement of Fidelity

In article ,
Ty Ford wrote:
There's a difference in how this was acheived, though. In older days
it was through the arrangement of the music and studio recording
practices. The Phil Spector 'wall of sound' for example. These days
it's done using largely automatic processors after the studio
recording is signed off. Similar to the types used for processing
radio at the transmitters.

I'll respectfully disgree, Dave. Colin's right. In the US, anyway.

In our local songwriters ass'n compilation CD, two years ago, we had
several entries that were mp3 and NOT particularly well done. We let it
go in the name of art. (Not this year though.)

I'm not quite sure what that has to do with commercial recordings?

Lots of artifacts and reduced bandwidth that's what you look (listen)
for. Try MP3ing them and see if they don't fall apart even more
precipitously relative to normal wav files.

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.