Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Earplugs

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 08:54:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 11:20:08 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 6:36:41 PM UTC-4, gareth magennis wrote:
Hi,

so, some customers are asking for earplugs at a live event. (sometimes
including children)
As sound engineer, I feel it is my duty to do what I can and provide them
when requested.

Interesting

and I agree, I tend to wear earplugs because the mids and highs are too loud, sometimes painfully loud, but the bass is fine.

So the plugs work well because they attenuate the mids and highs and leave the bass alone.

I would not mind if the mix was adjusted to keep the bass very loud but cut down the mids and highs. The promoters might accept that, I'm pretty sure the audience would. Then w could listen without the ear plugs.

But what do you do when the years move on and some correction is
needed? Here's a pair of self-administered audiograms, from 2001 and
three days ago. I've actually won a bit of bass, but the top end is
vanishing fast.

http://www.soundthoughts.co.uk/look/audiogram.png

These were taken with a nice pair of Stax phones, so they should be
pretty reliable. On the recent one you can see a masking peak at 4kHz
caused by tinnitus.

---