Default DVD audio vs. SACD

Harry Lavo wrote:

Sean and Harman don't do ABX tests? Perhaps you should check that out with
your buddy Stewart.

Since when is Stewart an authority on the testing practices of a
company he does not work for? Once again, I suggest you try to actually
read Sean Olive's research before commenting on it further.

snip irrelevancies

If Sean is screening for the ability to discriminate specific frequency
response emphasis, then it is for discrimination tests, right?

Wrong.

No different
than training to hear codec anomalies.

Wrong.

And what are the two leading audio
discrimination tests? ABX and it's close cousin ABC/hr.

Sean's work has been discussed here and elsewhere on Usenet for many
years(*), as the quote above from J.J. shows, and unless everybody involved
in the discussions has been in error, Harman uses discrimination tests.

And BTW, I wasn't referring to "the article Sully referred to". I made a
general reference to Sean and Harman-Kardon. Perhaps you should read more
carefully.

Perhaps you should read, period. I was offering that as an example of
the kind of work Olive does with untrained listeners.

(*) A search for "ABX" and "Harman" brings up 109 posts.

So what? You've read second- and third-hand Usenet posts. I've read a
fair chunk of Olive's research. Which of us is more likely to know what
Olive's research is about?

Now, somebody at Harman may use ABX tests. But they've never appeared
in Olive's work that I know of(or you, since know nothing of his work).
And your statement wasn't about "Harman." It was about Olive. And it
was wrong.

bob