Sockpuppet Yustabe

Default Magazine Statitistics

"Powell" wrote in message

"John Atkinson" wrote

1994: 71,040
1995: 79,332
1996: 85,808
1997: 87,219
1998: 83,921
1999: 85,224
2000: 91,384
2001: 84,987
2002: 82,932
2003: 81,668

Please note that there are many factors which
contribute to a magazine's paid circulation, and
that to draw any general conclusion concerning
any specific factor will almost certainly be incorrect.

Agreed.

Regardless, I hope that this puts the matter of
Stereophile's purported circulation problems to rest.

I think that age demographics would indicate a new
paradigm is in play. Here are the 1994 demographics
reported by Stereophile:

Median age (1994): 41

Under 30 - 12.5%
30-49 - 65.8%
50-64 - 17.0
65 or over 4.7%

Sex: 98.1% Male 1.9% Female

A significant portion of the Baby Boomers, now ten
years later, have peaked in income and are heading
for retirement. Half of the over 65 group are dead
now, too. Based on the current demographics of the
age groups I suspect that HT magazines are
attracting the larger portion (30 - 49 years) of new
subscribers over Stereophile.

The average length of time a subscriber has been a
reader of Stereophile was (1994) 4.8 years. Over
the last ten years that is almost a 100% turnover.
Without new hobbyists entering into high end audio
the days of Stereophile and TAS are numbered.
Again, I think the draw
(paradigm change/demographics) is toward HT and
less interest in high end audio.

So what are you planning for your next career, John ?

Let's just assume he grows older with the rest of us,
and someday, he will retire, and eventually expire, like we all will.