Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Default Utralinear SE amps with EL34/6CA7.

flipper wrote:

The diode prevents the screen from going the wrong way
or something.
Someone said they liked the sound, so I tried it. It
sounds better. No
clue why.

I use big 40A 1000V Ultrafast units. It was the only
size the store
had four of...

It may have originated from here http://oestex.com/tubes/

I was thinking the same thing. In particular, on this page

http://oestex.com/tubes/oes.html

I read that ages ago but unless my eyeballs are installed
backwards,
or something, that author has a serious problem with
polarity and
'electron flow'.

Obviously you don't know much about the darkness.

All non-linearity in electronic devices arises from their
interaction with dark matter, via dark currents and dark
voltages. The sum of interactions is perfectly linear, but
the proportion of dark interaction is not. Hence, if leakage
to the dark world can be reduced, then the result is greater
linearity in the perceived world.

Although a reverse-connected diode is a poor relation to the
ideal dark edoid, or anti-diode, it does reduce the
modulation of the dark field, by keeping some of the dark
charge in.

Ian