Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

Default Want to design a 3-way speaker with "extreeeem" excursion

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com
On 11/1/2010 12:17 PM ChrisCoaster spake thus:

On Nov 1, 7:52 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message

I'm thinking about a speaker line, both a bookshelf
and a floorstanding model. Standard 8-16ohm
impedance, current state of art materials, with as
low-resonance a cabinet as humanly possible. Speaker
would be a sealed unit, capable of handling anywhere
from 50-200W. The midrange might also be visibly moved, especially
on tracks with strong transient drums(think
early-to-mid era Genesis or just about anything from
LZ).

This is a rediculous cosmetic-only requirement.

[snip]

Sigh...Why couldn't everyone be more like Dick Pierce?(a
little heavy on the math, but otherwise takes time to
lay it out in plain terms)

Math is by definition *Not* "plain terms".

On the contrary. Math is by definition the only "plain term". that's exactly
why I majored in it. It's called "quantitative", (rather than qualitative.)
And, it tells the true story every time. Have you ever tried buying a box or
leather case for some item you have, like a tape measure, or a pocket knife?
You can Google up a dozen of them, and the dimensions won't be on any one of
them. I call it "dimentionphobia", or the dumbing down of America.