Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Wierd waveforms.

wrote in message

Non symmetrical looking waveform in Audacity on my "new"
PC: url=http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV2idr9S

The actual time scale used in this picture shows a far shorter segment of
audio than all the rest:

And it looks the same in the DAW application "Reaper" on
my "new" PC:
url=http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV2iDhY9

So, I loaded this same audio file (the undulating one)
into both of these older pieces of software. Lo and
behold - the waveform looks symmetrical - the way I am
"used" to seeing it!

Diamond Cut Audio on my "old" PC:
url=http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq2jK5jA

Samplitude on my ancient (but beloved) Amiga:
url=http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1nZHK9

So....obviously there is something I am not understanding
about the way that Audacity & Reaper display waveform
data vs. the way the older software displays it (which I
am used to).

Can anyone clue me in on why the displays are different?

Different software produces different pictures, particularly when the time
scale is such that you're showing the entirely of a long clip on the screen.

Zoom in, and you should eventually find something that looks more like the
first image you posted.