Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Somewhat interesting video diary of Behringer factory visit

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Bill Ruys wrote:

Interesting. The workers are all young, and live in
"Behringer City" dorms.

Beats the ^%$#!! out of living in a mud and straw hut.

Chris makes the valid point that Behringer gear has no
"soul".

I thought that the most important sources of soul in music are the talents
and industry of the musicians and the production people.

I'd have to
agree. It makes me wish I could afford to buy gear
made by people who care about what they're making.

More important to me is gear designed by people who know what they are
doing.

When people care about what they are doing, we call that passion.

When people care about the quality of the value they add, we call that
professionalism.

Don't blame Behringer for this. The idea originated
with Henry Ford who built the whole "factory town" concept up.

Said factory towns are not that far from where I sit, AKA Dearborn and
Inkster.

I do agree that mass production produces gear without
soul, because it produces gear that is intended to be
everything to everybody in order to increase the total
market as much as possible and therefore bring the per
unit cost down as much as possible. But that's life.

That's what happens when the core technology advances to the point where
products that are essentially free of flaws can be made by a large number of
different factories for economcal prices.

I think you're being too philosophical about this. The
management simply defined a set of design
parameters/goals that we don't sympathize with.

Speak for yourself, Bob. I definitely sympathize with gear that does what it
is supposed to.

If Behringher used good opamps, good A/D's, and good
switches, would we be having this discussion? I doubt it.

If you had to back that up with your ears Bob, you'd no doubt be found to be
wearing the Emperor's new clothes.