Denis Sbragion wrote:
Hello Gareth,

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in
:

My point is that if you think that things can be explained by current
scientific knowledge, it implies that these current theories cannot
possibly be incorrect or missing vital parts. You are basing your
explanation on a severely limited knowledge base, which I believe is
fundamentally flawed logic. There could be all sorts of reasons, as

you talk like we're discussing about some bleeding edge research about
subatomic particles, or some completely new theory of astrophysics. Instead
we're discussing just about the reproduction of sound, hardly something so
new or so complicated. Isn't this even more flawed?
It's quite hard for me to believe that we have been able to send the
man to the moon, some robots to mars, a probe out of the solar system,
we've been able to receive signals from stars billions of light years away,
accelerate particles close to the speed of light, and many other amazing
things, and we aren't able to understand how sound and its reproduction
actually works.

Bye,

--
. I agree with you. The web exchange of off- the- top- of- the= head speculations has little to do with audio.

But my reasons for saying it are diametrically different. It
is not because audio is a simple physical phenomenon about which we
know all that there is to be known. On the contrary we know next to
zero. At least I do and I suspect that you know fractionally less
because I have superficial acquaintance with neurophysiology of the
brain. Do you?
Quite, quite, sound means waves that enter the ear. From
then on the labyrinth and the cochlea and the acoustic nerve and the
acoustic brain centres in the temporal lobe cortex and the countless
synapses to the frontal cortex and other connexions we have yet to
learn about get to work on it..
And neither you nor I have the foggiest what the brain makes of the
complex , interweaving sound waves originated by a piece of music. How
does a flutist tell the difference between two flutes?
There is more complexity under the heavens than your
textbooks had an inkling of.
Ludovic Mirabel